I recently reintroduced garlic back into my diet with disastrous consequences. After a few days of moping about never being able to eat garlic mushrooms again I decided to create an allergen free mushroom dish. The yogurt makes this low fat recipe taste much richer than you would expect whilst also muting the intensity of the spices. If your chillies are very hot, either reduce the amount you add when cooking, or serve with additional yogurt on the side. We eat this with toasted rye bread but if wheat is not an issue, I recommend a crusty loaf on the side to dip into the piquant juices.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 10 grams root ginger - peeled and grated
- 1 green chilli - finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons coriander - cumin powder
- 0.5 teaspoon garam masala
- 0.5 teaspoon chilli powder
- 0.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 spring onions - chopped
- 20 grams coriander - finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 100 millilitres water
- 3 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 400 grams chestnut button mushrooms - cleaned
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Place all of the ingredients, other than the mushrooms, in an oven proof dish and mix well.
- Now add the mushrooms and mix again.
- Place a lid on the dish and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Serve with rice or crusty bread.